Flood Light Protester Was On “Hard Drugs”, Police Investigation Reveals

BY: Nick Nwaneri, Calabar

Police Investigation has revealed that  the 400 level philosophy student of the  University of Calabar,(UNICAL) Effiom Paul who climbed the 60 feet stadium flood lights tower to protest alleged “dilapidated U.J Esuene stadium” is not deliberate but to enable the authorities conclude its report.

It would be recalled that Paul had climbed the Flood light tower recently to protest dilapidated state of the U.J Esuene stadium , was on “hard  drugs”.

Earlier claim of being “moved by God” was the effect of the illicit substance he took in the early hours of that fateful day, our investigations further revealed.

Sources close to the Police headquarters  said that after “Paul” was rescued by SP Abdulhameed Awodi and his (AKCS)  squad, he was taken to their command for future interrogation and profiling.

It was discovered “Upon examination that he was not really stable, contrary to reports and allegations by the Student Union President of UNICAL that he was being detained by the police. Rather, he was actually going through examination.

The observation shows that,  he need medical examination and was then taken to the Federal  Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital ,Calabar, where he is currently being admitted and various test carried out to exact substance he took and further treatment administered.

Our investigations further revealed that Paul is still unstable as he was still complaining of pains in his chin and jaw as well as visibly unstable at the time of filling this report.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Cross River State Command, SP Irene Ugbo, said  “it is unfortunate that many young people have taken to taking different illicit substances that have dangerous consequences in thier health and general wellbeing.

She said after medical examination by experts at their end, it was noticed that Paul was not really in a stable condition, proving he was on  hard drugs.

“He took something that “pushed” him to climb that tower of about 60 feet , he didn’t climb to steal anything or kill himself ,but his actions were scary as well as disturbing ,so after profiling and examination ,he was referred to Federal Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital Calabar road ,and he has been there for six days now.

“This is the reason why we have zero tolerance for  illicit drug sale or use in any form or quantity and we go after drug dealers ,peddlers to nip this kind of ugly incident in the bud , if not fir the timely intervention of Dragon Squad , only God knows what would have happened.

“We are glad he was safely brought down by our men from that height unhurt. We want to use this medium to further warn those in the line of business of drugs , especially those selling in the street corners and unregistered drug outlets to desist from  such acts. You are causing more harm and cutting short the destinies of young promising Nigerians, she noted”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *